By all means, these paleo egg muffins are the perfect combination of a frittata and a quiche. Make them ahead of time and you’ll have a few days’ supply of a quick breakfast on-the-go or a little filler in between your meals. Although the jalapeño adds a little punch and zest to it, feel free to skip it if that’s not your thing.
- 3 cups kale, destemmed and chopped into thin ribbons
- 1/4 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 jalapeño, very finely diced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 11 egg whites (I use a small carton of organic, free-range liquid egg whites. You can also just use 12 whole eggs if you don’t like egg whites)
- 7 whole eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Firstly, spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and line it with muffin liners.
- Then, in a medium microwave-safe bowl, steam prepped kale in the microwave for 2–3 minutes until soft and wilted. Next, place in a large bowl and set aside.
- In that same microwave-safe bowl, add diced onions and microwave for about 1 minute. Then put the onions and kale in the same bowl.
- Add cilantro, oregano, jalapeño, salt, and pepper to the same onion/kale mix. Stir to combine. Set aside for now.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together whole eggs, egg whites, salt, and pepper. Basically, you want the mixture to ribbon off the whisk and be fully scrambled.
- After that, distribute the veggie mixture evenly between your 12 muffin cups.
- Then distribute egg mixture evenly among the cups, pouring over the veggie mix.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the muffins have risen and have golden brown on the top.
- Cool in pan for a few minutes and then remove to a cooling rack. Ideally, you want to move them to the cooling rack as you as you can to avoid having a rubbery consistency.
- Place unused muffins into the fridge and reheat them in a microwave when needed!
* Recipe makes 12 muffins
Featured Image Source: besthealthmag.ca
Sourced from: popsugar.com